- You will conduct research in the field of Translation Studies, with a focus on English-language literatures and cultures. Your research fits the profile of the research group VICT (Translation and Intercultural Transfer, see https://www.arts.kuleuven.be/vict).
- You will strive for excellence in your scholarly research: publish at the highest academic level, initiate national and international collaboration for and with the research group and help to promote and further develop such collaboration.
- You are capable of obtaining competitive funding, and of attracting and supervising doctoral students.
- You will see to the valorisation of your research.
- You will provide high-quality teaching within the bachelor in applied linguistics and the master in translation, and be committed to the quality of the programme as a whole. You will also contribute to the university’s pedagogical project by supervising bachelor’s and master’s theses.
- You will develop your teaching in accordance with the KU Leuven vision on pro-active, research-based instruction and you will make use of the opportunities offered by the faculty and the university to further professionalise your teaching.
- Your teaching assignment, which will comprise a regular load of approximately 25 ECTS points, includes the following subjects at the outset:
- For the bachelor in applied linguistics:
English text analysis: literary approach (B-KUL-Y00175)
American culture (B-KUL-Y00160)
- For the master in translation:
Translation Studies and methodology (B-KUL-Y04146)
In addition, your teaching assignment may also include translation seminars.
- For the bachelor in applied linguistics:
Your teaching assignment will be initially linked to the faculty’s Antwerp Campus, but you should be prepared to carry out, where appropriate, teaching assignments at other faculty campuses.
You are willing to take on tasks of internal and external, academic and other types of services, within the university, the faculty, the research group and the community.
You are expected to participate in the provision of academic services and to take on managerial tasks within the faculty.
- You hold a doctorate in translation studies (or a related field) with a focus on English.
- You have a strong track record in research in the field of translation studies or in a related field. You are qualified for academic teaching in translation studies and translation. Teaching experience is an asset.
- You possess organisational skills and you are a good colleague. You also exhibit leadership skills in a university context.
- You are a team player.
- You are a native speaker of English or you have a comparable level.
- The language of the KU Leuven is Dutch. If at the time of recruitment you have no or insufficient knowledge of Dutch, KU Leuven will provide you with a training programme that should allow you to take part in meetings. Before you start teaching in Dutch, you will be given the opportunity to acquire the necessary knowledge of Dutch.
We offer full time employment in an intellectually challenging environment. KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that conducts both fundamental and applied academic research. It has a strong interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary focus and strives for international excellence. To this end, it collaborates actively with its research partners at home and abroad. It offers its students an academic education based on high-level scholarly research.
You will be appointed to the position of tenure track assistant professor for a period of 5 years; afterwards, if the evaluation is positive, you will be appointed to the position of associate professor.
KU Leuven is well equipped to welcome foreign professors and their family and provides practical support with regard to immigration & administration, housing, childcare, learning Dutch, partner career coaching, etc.
To facilitate academic onboarding and accelerate research in the first phase, a starting grant of 100,000 euro is offered to new professors without substantial other funding who are appointed for at least 50%.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Elke Brems, tel.: +32 2 609 37 46, mail: email@example.com.For problems with online applying, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please add a research statement (max. 2 pages) to your motivation letter. In addition, please outline your vision on academic teaching in a teaching statement (max. 1 page).
KU Leuven places great importance on research integrity and ethical conduct and will therefore ask you to sign an integrity statement upon appointment.